Thursday 2 March 2023

Hah! I'm dealing with it better now.

Interesting to read my last post.  

In many ways, things have continued in the same vein.  For example, at church, where I volunteer as secretary, choir member and council rep, I had a huge issue with the treasurer who was uber-late in providing reports for the Annual Report.  She had a zillion excuses, sent blank documents, and otherwise tried by patience.  Finally, she blew up at me, saying she didn't know there was a deadline (posted in bulletin for over a month), and why would a secretary change her report (tried to fit it on a word document so not changed, just re-fitted), and to 'stay in my own lane'.  She even told the Board chair that I could access the church computer from my home computer and see all of her treasurer documentation.  And the Board chair believed her!!!!  When the treasurer and I met in person, she claimed I was a victim personality and tried to do some psychology (Do you have these problems in other parts of your life?)

Why do people come up with that approach?  Labelling someone a victim rather than looking at their own culpability.  Anyway, I stood my ground until she finally, reluctantly apologized.  

But this is what is different since my last post.  I'm realizing it is okay to self-protect.  Actually it is necessary.  I took a break from church and attended another one that was unbelievably uplifting.  I will attend it once a month, so will not feel so restricted by my current church.  They have suddenly started to treat me well (answering my e-mails, providing feedback, respecting my time) but that is not the purpose of attending a different church once in awhile.  The purpose is to worship fully and wholly, which I can't do when I feel wary.  

As for my husband's lack of interest, I know he has some limitations in the expression department.  On Valentine's Day, he said flowers were too expensive.  When I handed him a box of chocolates he said:  Well, I tried.  Really?  Then he said we could go out for supper sometime.  I said,  Ya...but it's always to your choice of restaurant. So...We haven't gone to my choice yet, and I doubt that we will.  BUT, I love him in spite of these thoughtless ways, recognizing his weaknesses.  And I've protected myself with my imagination.

I've got a Dick and Rick response.  When he says something thoughtless, he is Dick; something wonderful, he is Rick.  When he is Dick, I imagine a Rick response that would help me feel good.  To my happy surprise, he provides more Rick responses than I had originally thought.  I guess I had focussed on the hurt of the Dick.  

This dealing with emotional pain, recovery, self reflection...makes me quite ordinary, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hah! I'm dealing with it better now.

Interesting to read my last post.   In many ways, things have continued in the same vein.  For example, at church, where I volunteer as secr...